Our 2019 Show Judge: Maribeth Schmit
Maribeth Schmit is an accomplished fiber artist, teacher, lecturer, and author as well as an NACQJ- and NQA-certified judge, qualified to evaluate Masterpiece Quilts. She lived and taught abroad for many years before moving to Cedarburg, WI, in 1994. She is well traveled internationally and is not shy in admitting that she is seriously infatuated with all things “textile.”
As an NACQJ-certified judge, Ms. Schmit is well qualified to judge all national quilt shows. She is certified to evaluate machine and hand-worked pieces as well as traditional, modern, and art quilts. Her experience includes having judged over 17,000 quilted pieces.
While Maribeth's fiber art beginnings stem from a traditional background, she enjoys and is excited by contemporary and art quilting endeavors. When judging, Maribeth treats every entry with respect. She evaluates objectively and fairly, recognizing the creativity and workmanship in each entry. She strives to provide valuable feedback to entrants, commenting constructively and positively. She continues to develop her quilting and teaching skills by regularly attending quilting classes, lectures, and shows nationwide. She feels it's most important to stay current with the latest quilting trends and judging philosophy.
Ms. Schmit has earned numerous ribbons and awards at regional, state, and national competitions. Having won several “Best of Show” awards, her work has exhibited at the National Quilting Association, Inc. (NQA) shows in Columbus, OH, and Charlotte, NC. It has been juried into five of the American Quilter’s Society (AQS) shows: Paducah, KY, Des Moines, IA, Knoxville and Nashville, TN, Grand Rapids, MI. Her work has exhibited at the International Quilt Festival—Chicago (IQA); Quilt Expo—Madison, WI; museums such as the Oshkosh (WI) Public Museum, Anderson-Abruzzo Albuquerque International Balloon Museum, Albuquerque, NM; the Wisconsin Museum of Quilts and Fiber Arts; and also in Indonesia. Additional work has been juried into and invited to exhibit at Quilt Expo, Madison, WI; the Association of Pacific West Quilters, Tacoma, WA; and Quilters' Heritage Celebration, in Pennsylvania.
Several of Ms. Schmit’s quilts are published in magazines, books, and journals. She has appeared on an episode of HGTV’s Simply Quilts, and in a University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee documentary on fiber arts titled Tapestries of Courage.
- BA, MA—University of Illinois, Champaign, IL, Certified teacher WI, IL
- Designated National Quilting Association Certified Judge (NQACJ) and qualified to judge NQA Masterpiece Quilts
- Licensed Wisconsin Fair Judge, WI Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection, 2004–present
- Seminar, “How Quilt Judges Evaluate Design: Critique, Not Criticism,” 2012
- Wisconsin Fair Judge’s Training Program, University of WI Extension, 4-H Youth Development 2009
- DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) Correspondent Docent 2009-present
- Quilting Instructor, Whitefish Bay School District and Adult Recreation Program, Whitefish Bay, WI 2006–-2008, 2014–present
- Adjunct Quilting Instructor, Fox Valley Technical College, Oshkosh, WI
- Active Member Milwaukee Art Quilters (MArQ)
- Documentation Chair, WI Museum of Quilts and Fiber Arts, Cedarburg, WI
- Former Board Member, National Association of Certified Quilt Judges (NACQJ), Communications Chair
- Former Board Member, Wisconsin Quilters, Inc.
- Member Museum of Wisconsin Art
- Member Modern Quilt Guild
- Member SAQA, Studio Art Quilt Associates